We have just made our final arrangements to go on a holiday to northern Italy to seek out the Byzantine treasures of Aquileia, Venice, and Ravenna.
I am looking forward to relaxing and exploring the sights despite the weakness of the Pound Sterling against the Euro! There will be a full update of the trip on the blog with pictures; this gives me a real reason to sort out the photographs section.
My wife and I will be visiting:
Aquileia - most famous for the mosaic floor of its Basilica, some 750 sq m!
Venice – needing no introduction, Venice houses many Byzantine treasures looted during the capture of Constantinople by the Ventians and Crusaders in 1204.
Ravenna - to visit all these wonderful places!
- Neonian Baptistery (c. 430)
- Mausoleum of Galla Placidia (c. 430)
- Arian Baptistry (c. 500)
- Archiepiscopal Chapel (c. 500)
- Basilica of Sant’Apollinare Nuovo (c. 500)
- Mausoleum of Theodoric (520)
- Basilica of San Vitale (548)
- Basilica of Sant’ Apollinare in Classe (549)
Plus plenty of good food and wine!